You may be working 9-5 and enjoyed the security that your job gives you, but you may be longing to experience freedom of time.
Maybe you are looking for a job where you are really called to, and at the same time enjoy being in your home.
Maybe you are a Filipino working abroad but hungering to give your presence to your family, but still considering the huge folding-down of your income.
In the Philippines, people enter BPO companies because of higher wages, but many are also discovering the great advantages of freelancing.
With some core competencies and strategic counsel, you can break free from your day job, or escape the body-clock shifting work hours stress of call centers. You could consider freelancing.
Working online for overseas clients at your free allocation of time has its own advantages and disadvantages. But if you have thought it well before, you may see that freelancing is the best option for you.
Here are some tips how you can strategically transition:
1. Exit gracefully- tendency is, you see in freelance a greener pasture than your corporate world’s environment- a higher pay, a multitude of Western bosses, a more family-friendly timeslot. Strive to be excellent in the last days of your stay. This will benefit you in the long run as you could use your day job work mates as reference to your freelance clients. You can send their emails or contact numbers to your clients. This will give you a good testimony in your workplace, accomplishing the call “Let your light so shine before men.” The worst thing about transition is when you leave your organization in the worst shape. You cannot afford to leave without your boss’ blessings (Hebrews 13:17).
2. Establish strong skills and core competencies- career longevity is not that stable in the freelancing world, but if you have competent skills and strong core competencies, you would survive. Just like in the day job world, talents are not enough, character counts. Strengthen your skills where you can market yourself very well, but also develop ethics that would help you sustain in the race.
Examples of skills:
Programming, Customer Relations, Graphics Design, SEO, SMM, Creative Writing, Web Development
Professional communication and ethics, email handling, client relationship management.
3. Grow your network- while you are still in your day job, take some moonlight time to contact potential clients and let them know of your future full-time availability. Tell them your plans and challenges so that they can also know the next best step. Connecting to potential clients and maintaining good relationships with partners are your best allies.
As a freelancer myself, I have my own share of ups and downs. I enjoy the rewards, but also the down-sides. Subscribe to my email list for you to receive more tips and strategies in the freelance world.
I help people avail the best real estate investments in Bacolod City that fit their profile, budget and goals in life. They could be:
- Bacolod Condos (High end) such as Megaworld, Rockwell Land, among others
- Bacolod Condos (Affordable) such as Mesavirre
- Executive House and Lots such as Fountain Grove, Forbes Hill, Casa Mira
- Commercial Lots in Bacolod City
- Mountain lots in Don Salvador and other Negros listings
- Affordable Housing such as East Homes
- Beach Lots
Contact me for a quotation or tour
I am also a licensed financial advisor, Bacolod City blogger and digital marketing professional.