We are living in a materialistic world. We live in a universe wherein man is “spiritually dead” or “spiritually separated” from the Creator who made him. Thus, naturally, man has no interest on the things of His Creator, man is blinded and disinterested about Him (2 Cor. 2:14).
The Bible is very consistent on its teaching about money. Jesus knows that money has a big part in our life, and he talks about money more than any other topic about human life. In the Bible, there are 500 verses about Prayer and Faith, but there are 2,000 verses about Money and Possessions. Here are some:
1 Timothy 6:9 says “Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a snare and many foolish and harmful desires which plunge men into ruin and destruction.”
“For the love of money is the root of all kinds, or all sorts of evil and some by longing for it…that is longing for money…have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many a pang.”
Mark 10:23 “How hard it will be for those who are wealthy to enter the Kingdom of God.”
“Don’t lay up treasure on earth where moth and rust corrupt and thieves break through and steal,” God knows that the heart of man pursues physical wealth since that is the only remaining residue after the fall of man. The tragedy that the Adamic fall has brought is that man’s heart was dominated by creation, rather than man dominating the creation.
A Russian Christian once said, “In my experience, 95 percent of the believers who face the test of persecution pass it while 95 percent who face the test of prosperity fail it.”
Economics becomes more understandable if we look at its Greek origin- “Oikonomia.” Oikonomia simply means “managing the house.” Thus, everything we do in our house or in our home living is “economy.” We cannot stop doing it as long we are still alive. Economics is very well spoken of in the Bible. It is translated to the word “steward” or “stewardship.” Philippine economy becomes easy to grasp if we imagine it as a one big house.
Here are some truths about money:
1. God gave men the right to possess money. In Genesis 1:26, He gave man the power and authority to manage or be a steward of His created universe.
2. All money is God’s. We are never the owner, in a sense of origin, but we are rather managers and stewards. Haggai 2:8 it says, “The silver and the gold are mine.”
3. Deuteronomy 8:17 and 28 says, “But you shall remember the Lord your God for it is He who is giving you power to make wealth.” – He gives man the education, training, talent, skill, gift and natural abilities for him to make money.
4. Is it wrong to have money? Absolutely no, it is wrong to love it. What’s wrong is to have a materialistic attitude, an attitude the loves things above God and above others people.
5. God has given us richly all things to enjoy – 1 Tim. 6:17
-Money is a gift from God. Job was wealthy, Abraham, Isaac, David, the nation Israel was wealthy. He gives it to men to be enjoyed.
-Like food and sex, it is a good gift from God, a neutral ground, which can be abused.
-In giving wealth, He also gave warning: Deuteronomy 8, “You shall remember the Lord your God.” Don’t forget God in the time span of your possession of wealth. To forget Him is to invite the consequences that He gave such as “If you ever forget the LORD your God and follow other gods and worship and bow down to them, I testify against you today that you will surely be destroyed.” Deuteronomy 8:19
This material is our Young People Sunday School material.
I help people avail the best real estate investments in Bacolod City that fit their profile, budget and goals in life. They could be:
- Bacolod Condos (High end) such as Megaworld, Rockwell Land, among others
- Bacolod Condos (Affordable) such as Mesavirre
- Executive House and Lots such as Fountain Grove, Forbes Hill, Casa Mira
- Commercial Lots in Bacolod City
- Mountain lots in Don Salvador and other Negros listings
- Affordable Housing such as East Homes
- Beach Lots
Contact me for a quotation or tour
I am also a licensed financial advisor, Bacolod City blogger and digital marketing professional.